Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ryan Upchurch Interview




Steven: Ryan, what has been going on dude? It seems like you've been pretty busy. Tell us a little bit about what you've been up to lately.



Ryan: Dude, to be honest lately I've been working and riding every free moment I've had! To start things off, I have my normal team managing duties with Envy, I've recently been doing a bit of photo and writing work for a few different magazines, and also have been doing a ton of photo and video work on the side for various businesses local to me. On top of all of this, I have all of my usual travels, videos I make for myself, and balance it all out around my schoolwork. Needless to say, I've been keeping myself busy lately aha, but every second has been 100% worth it!



Steven: So it's pretty obvious that joining up with Blunt/Envy has been one of the best, if not The best move in your career, what are your thoughts on that?



Ryan: Since joining Blunt/Envy Scooters, my whole life has changed! On and off my scooter, they have been backing me with everything I've done since stepping foot on the team. One of the biggest things for me with Envy though is my travels, and they have made all the difference! I never thought I'd make it to Europe, especially by now (let alone all of the other places I've been)! I've met heaps of great people in my travels, and have made memories that I wouldn't trade for the world. Since joining the team more than over a year ago, it seems my riding has also flourished, which I feel has been a direct result of the high quality products that I've been riding on over the past year. They have been more than good to me, so it's definitely safe to say it has been the best decision I've made so far in my career.



Steven: If I'm not mistaken, aren't you also the Team Manager for Envy USA? Can you tell us how that role affects you, and give us a little bit of insight on what you do for Envy?



Ryan: Yeah man, I was in search of work as I entered the team, and found it a few months later as TM. Seeing that they have given me work, I can focus completely on the promotion of the company from a marketing aspect when I'm not riding. I am extremely grateful that they've done so, seeing that otherwise I'd be working in some dead end job I hate. As a team manager though, I make sure all of the guys are always on a good set of parts, organize some of the traveling for the team, as well as do a load of behind the scenes photo, video, and marketing work such as producing magazine advertisements and creating event flyers. They keep work coming my way, and I do my best to keep the work going out just as fast as it's coming in. They've made a dream come true though, by allowing me to do what I love to do each day!



Steven: All right I gotta get into this Mega Ramp deal at Travis's house. First, before we get into the actual hitting of the ramp, tell us how you even ended up in his backyard?



Ryan: Well... to make a long story short, I know a guy that knows a guy haha! My long-time friend and pro BMX rider Mike Fede is pretty good friends with Jim Dechamp, and one thing led to another, and Mike invited me down to Travis's for a session. I have been there quite a few times now, and after the frontflip, I've been invited to come ride and hangout whenever almost.




Steven: Ok, now that that's out of the way.. walk us through the day that you frontflipped his mega. Did anyone know you were going to throw a frontflip first try? Break it down for us dude.



Ryan: Actually man, first try is a false statement... the video that I released that everyone has seen was actually my second go at it! But to start from the beginning, I was at Travis's house the day before just riding to get some photos and basic clips with Mike, and Travis took a bit of interest into my riding. After the session and towards the end of the day, he mentioned to me that ESPN was going to be there tomorrow, and that I could come back for the filming of the show if I wanted. Without hesitation, I accepted (obviously)! So the next day rolls around and I show up around 1PM, just around the time that ESPN showed up. The weather was iffy, and raining on and off throughout the day. Between the spurts of rain, myself, along with Chad Kagy, Steve McCann, "Dusty", and a few others filmed various clips around the compound. I mentioned to Travis that I wanted to do the mega for the show, and he was clearly hesitant, and actually told me he didn't think I was going to make it. He also made me sign another liability waiver, just to be safe hahaha! Confident in thinking I was going to make the gap though, I told the film crew to head over to the mega, and start rolling because I was about to do something they don't want to miss (make or fail). Soon after, I was at the top of the compound, right at Travis's front door, shaking with adrenaline and fear. I thought to myself about what this would mean if I made it, and without another thought in my mind ran as fast as I could and jumped on my scooter towards the mega ramp. First time out I got speed wobbles at the bottom, took off crooked, and bailed as I was upside down suspended about 35feet in the air moving at aorund 30-40mph. Thank god, I made the gap! Adrenaline still pumping and with the Nitro Circus crew cheering me on I knew I had to go stomp it! Off to the top of the hill I went, and lined up for a second go. This time as I hit the take off my speed wobbles weren't as bad and I took off much better, and brought the rotation around for the fronty just about as good as I think I could have! Everyone went berserk when I landed it, and it couldn't have been a better moment for me. It was unreal.




Steven: It looks like quite a few people were there, including Travis Pastrana himself and Jolene Van Vugt. Who else was there? And what were there overall reactions and thoughts after seeing you throw that down first try?



Ryan: In addition to Travis and Jolene, there was Chad Kagy, Streetbike Tommy, "Dusty", Steve McCann, Mike Fede, Jim Dechamp, Hubert, and a few others were hanging out when it all went down. Before hand, as ssen in the video, it's quite obvious that there wan't a whole lot of people confident in me making the gap, or even attempting it in the first place. Surprisingly, seeing at how crazy everyone appears to be on the shows, the Nitro Circus crew seemed quite concerned for my safety when I told them I was going to do it. Right when I made the first jump, they all jumped up in applaud more so for the fact that I didn't wreck myself than anything. Second go, I stuck the trick and everyone jumped up in amazement this time because I actually threw it. Travis, as well as everyone else there was stoked on what went down that day. Ultimately, it was huge for me because hitting a mega ramp was one of the few things I really wanted out of my scooter career, and it couldn't have been more perfect.



Steven: I honestly want to see you hit the REAL Mega Ramp. What are your thoughts on that, and would we see another first T front flip??



Ryan: A real mega ramp... I've been wanting to do it even before I hit the one at the Pastrana compound! Now that I have made it over his, I'm determined to hit every mega I'm allowed to ride. First try over the real mega is very possible, but regardless of which try I land it on, I can say that I'll keep going until I land it or get hurt. After speaking with Travis afterward though, me hitting another mega in the near future is a strong possibility! When it comes to what I throw over them, I guess everyone will just have to wait and see!



Steven: Ryan you're making big moves dude, and having known you for so many years, you know I'm stoked for you. What can we expect from you for the rest of 2012? And will we be seeing any signature Ryan Upchurch products, or any Signature Envy USA products? If you got shout outs, let em go now.



Ryan: For the rest of 2012, I can't even tell you half of what my plans are, but I think I will let you and the inside readers in on a few things in the works! First of all, I'll start you off with some news! I have recently joined Scoot-Mag as a rider, writer, and photographer, so you will see a good bit of my work in there in coming issues. As far as travel goes, I am working on getting out to NASS, a few other European events in the Summer, and many other major contests that will be held! This year I plan to take my riding to a whole new level, and throw down bigger and better than ever. Not to mention, I have all the more reason to because right now I am working with Envy to produce a signature deck! So on that note, keep your eyes peeled for more information on the deck! At the end of the day though, none of this would be possible without Envy Scooters, and Dinny Spicer, who have helped me out so much along the way. I'd also like to give a shout out to Scoot-mag, Inside-scooters, Triple 8 for hooking me up, and all of the great riders and other individuals I've met so far in my career. But with the end of my shout outs, I'd also like to say to all of the younger riders out there that being sponsored isn't what's important about riding; it's about having a good time. Shout out to all of the riders who are out there riding every day just because they love it!




11 comments:

  1. The words " being sponsored isnt important " have only come from people who are sponsored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well im not sponsored and i completely agree.....

    cool dude, but he can't hang hahahaha ONE HIT WONDER!lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. potential legend of the sport if he keeps it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the first anonymous who posted in regards to sponsorship:

    Your statement has proven my point directly. Those who are sponsored realize once they have a company backing them that the true importance is being dedicated not only to a sponsor but the sport itself. I do believe in having goals such as obtaining a sponsor, but also feel that many kids are riding only to get sponsored and quickly lose sight of the fun in riding. If you ride only to be sponsored, what do you do when you are finally sponsored? If you've lost the enjoyment of riding along the way the quest of sponsorship was pointless. Also, I would like to say to all those who are seeking sponsorship, that riding for a company that you believe in is more important than the sponsorship itself. Ride products you believe in, and work with those who make you feel like family and you are bound to be happier than most who are sponsored in the sport. To make a long story short, being sponsored is a great thing, but only if there are good intentions for doing so. Chances are, if you are enjoying yourself while you're riding, you are even more likely to become sponsored anyway because companies look for riders with a positive image. Just go out, enjoy riding, film some videos with your friends, and the sponsors will come in time. Stay true guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true u have to have the love for the sport thats really all that matters. Sponsorship is juat another achevment to me. I ride because I want to have fun, I dont care if i ever get sponsored.

      Delete
  6. I cant believe he flipped that thing. Soooo sick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Scoot Mag Ryan. We have sooo much awesome stuff planned this year. We can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "NJScooterPark" Everything aside, Ryan your jump at Travis's house was ground breaking to our sport. To leave a Freestyle Motocross legend like Travis Pastrana speechless on his own ramp made Pro Scooting so much more legit in the eyes of the US. We have such a stereotype here to get over and seeing BIG Jumps like that Helps so much!!

    Steven, I met you at RYE, New Hampshire earlier this month, and what I saw there blow my mind. Big Ramps, Big Tricks.. When I compare Pro Scootering to Freestyle Motocross people think I'm crazy, but to compare it to skateboarding doesn't give it justice..

    Ryan, THANK YOU!! There are people watching that video that now know Scootering is no joke!!

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!