Sunday, November 6, 2011

Raymond Warner "22's" Interview

Raymond Warner isn't just one of the top riders in the world, he's actually a pretty nice guy too! It's rare to see Raymond without a smile across his face. He is one of the guys who is truly having fun everytime he's on his scooter. You always know you're gonna have a good time when Raymonds around. He's been murdering the competition scene lately, and I recently had a chance to catch up with Raymond for an interview for Inside-Scooters. Check that out below.




Steven: RayRay, what is up dude? How have you been?

Raymond: I've been alright Steven. Just been working at the Zone and riding. How about yourself bud?



Steven:
Ahh you know how it is. Working, getting stuff done for Dialed Issue 1 (Mmm Shameless plug) Now, For those who don't know.. Where you born, raised, and currently living?

Raymond: I was born in La Jolla, CA, raised in the streets of Murrieta, CA and still living here. Loving every minute of it!



Steven: Good, good. I'm basically going to get right into it man, I heard you recently signed with Phoenix? Tell me about that bro.

Raymond: Yeah I did. Being with Scooter Zone has been a huge blessing. Being able to work with James and everybody associated with the company has been nothing but a pleasure since the start. When Phoenix shot me an offer to be riding for them, I really didn't know what to say because of the deal I have with the Zone. I talked with James along with a couple of the riders and my dad about the whole situation and ended up going for it. So far, I'm glad I made the decision. Phoenix has provided me with decks already and they have taken good care of me and we are working on a signature deck as we speak. So be on the lookout for that!



Steven: Damn dude, a sig deck already in the works? Seems like a good deal to me haha. Tell me about the Reventon deck, I know you've been riding it for a while now. How do you feel about it?

Raymond: The Reventon deck is incredible. I've never been much of a street rider much at all, but with this deck I might give it a shot! The deck is basically the feel of grinding on a district deck, but with the strength of a Phoenix. I am riding the 4.65 x 20.5 right now, but also got a 4.25 x 19.5. I will be giving both of them a shot to see which is more comfortable for me so I can throw that size on my signature design.


Steven: Awesome dude. Raymond you're known as a park rider, but I know for a fact you can ride pretty much anything. Does it bother you to be known as only a park rider?

Raymond: It doesn't bother me at all. Don't get me wrong, I love riding
riders like Monky, Nick Darger, and other guys that ride street, but I have always had more of a passion for watching riders get huge height and throw different tricks and doing so myself a lot more. But like I said earlier, I may be down to get some street blood in me. Wink wink.



Steven: Haha here’s hoping we get to see Ray use those 22’s in the streets! Ok so… How easy is it for you to flat triple. Just wondering haha.

Raymond: I do like to do a bunch of whips. But flat triples are first tee. Not trying to be cocky or anything. Haha



Steven: All right all right… On flat... 180 whip to fakie to 180 triple whip out. How many tries?

Raymond: 180 triples take a bit more. Maybe 3? Depends on what I have for breakfast that morning.



Steven: Oh the ever important breakfast which decides on the fate of the 180 triples, nicee. Back to park though.. You've been killing it extremely hard in the competition scene lately. What are your thoughts about competing?

Raymond: Competing to me is a huge part of the sport. They are really what brings more riders into our sport due to kids going to their local parks, seeing that they are closed, and just hanging around to check things out. In my opinion, we need more of them in different areas. Obviously the big contest like SD, XW, CooterCon, etc. are all important also, but having the Texas contest really brought a whole new breed of riders into the sport as well. That's what we need to do to expand.



Steven: Agreed. It seems like every contest you ride in, Dakota is also riding in. Do you guys get along?

Raymond: Yeah, we are definitely familiar with each other’s riding, that's for sure! But we have never really had any bad blood or anything like that. We've always been pretty cool with each other. Although, when we compete, we hate each other! That's the whole idea right?


Steven: Haha true competitive spirit right there. You were a long time Scooter Zone rider, and then broke away for a while to ride for MaddGear. You're now back riding with Scooter Zone. How has it felt being back with The Zone?

Raymond: Being back with Scooter Zone has been awesome. Sometimes, I think to myself that maybe going around to different sponsors and/or teams like I did, really wasn't such a bad move. It really showed me what I was looking for in the riding side of the sport. Now, I realize that Scooter Zone is definitely where I belong in the scootering community. I'm glad I'm back with the family. :]


Steven: And I speak for everyone at the Zone when I say we’re glad you’re back dude. Aside from riding for the Scooter Zone Pro Team, you also work at one of the Scooter Zone Shops, what's it like working every day in the shop?

Raymond: Ever since I started scootering, I wanted to make this sport my entire life. Being a manager at one of the shops has introduced me more into the business side of the sport. I am trying to learn more and more about how things operate in the sport because let's face it, I'm not going to be able to ride for much longer. I'm going to get
old someday right?


Steven: Hmmm..50 year old Raymond still boosting, I can see it now… So dude, you got a back of tricks that seems to have no end... Where do you find the motivation to continue to progress and learn new stuff?

Raymond: My drive to continue to progress and learn new things is the support I get from my family, friends, and especially my fans. I don't know where I would be if I didn't have them. Being able to make my family proud is awesome, but at the same time I want to be able to make a difference in kids' lives as well by showing them that there's no limit to what they can do. That's really my main goal as a professional athlete.



Steven: That’s awesome bro. As 2011 comes to a close it brings a whole new year in 2012. We've both been in the sport for a long time, and we've seen it grow each year. Where do you see our sport going next year?

Raymond: Honestly, I think that 2012 will be one of the biggest years of our sport. I have a feeling that somebody is going to get a big sponsor from a well-known company like red bull, Nike, new era, or something along the lines of that. That would help the sport immensely in my mind. I don't think we'll be in any big contests like the Dew Tour or X Games this year beings that we're nowhere near big enough. But I don't think it's too far away. At least I hope not!


Steven: RayRay, thanks for taking the time to sit down with Inside-Scooters. Do you have any last words, or shout outs?

Raymond: Yeah I do. Shout out to Inside-Scooters for letting me do this interview with them. It is much appreciated as you know! Also, big thanks to my sponsors, The Scooter Zone and Phoenix Pro Scooters, my friends and family that have supported me throughout the years and the Lord for answering my prayers and helping me get to where I am today. But most of all, I want to thank James from Scooter Zone. Since day one, he's treated me like a son and I love him like a father. Thank you James...for everything. 22s


Raymond Warner Super 60

Raymond Warner SC Edit

8 comments:

  1. Raymond is the man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was first to halfcab triple flat. just saying

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subway employee: How much mustard do you want?
    Raymond: Think to yourself how can anyone want this much mustard and that's how much mustard I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is such a sick dude

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see him at the Zone a lot =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet!! He is one of my sons favorite riders! Always super nice to my son! Thanks Raymond! Brian and Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raymond taught me briflips in his how to

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!